Easy, Authentic Posole
I highly recommend making this! I added sautéed shrimp to mine and it was delicious! Of course we had crusty bread with it as well.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
FOR THE POSOLE
- 6 tomatillos, papery layers and stems discarded, roughly chopped
- 1 large red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 jalapeños, roughly chopped (remove seeds for a mild flavor)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 28 ounce can of hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 large sprigs of cilantro
FOR THE GARNISH
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Small handful of cilantro leaves
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 or 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F
2. On a sheet pan or in a large baking dish, toss the tomatillos, onions, and jalapeños with enough olive oil just to coat and a large pinch of salt. Roast, stirring now and then, until they’re soft and a little browned, 20 minutes.
3. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a powerful blender along with 1 cup of the stock and puree until completely smooth (be careful when blending hot ingredients) Transfer the mixture to a large pot along with the rest of the stock, the cilantro and the hominy. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the flavors have completely gotten to know each other. Season the soup to taste with salt.
4. Remove the cilantro and serve the soup along with bowls of avocado, cilantro leaves, scallions, radishes and lime wedges and encourage your guests to add whatever they’d like to their posole.Print